The Power Systems Lab of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki participates in a new research programme entitled as “Enhancing storage integration in buildings with photovoltaics – PV-ESTIA“. Primary objective of the PV-ESTIA project is to enhance the integration of photovoltaics and energy storage systems in the building enviroment in 5 pilot areas, thus facilitating the transition towards Nearly Zero Energy Buildings (NZEBs).
The project is implemented in 4 countries: Greece, Cyprus, FYROM, Bulgaria.
The primary goal of PV-ESTIA project is to:
- Enhance the integration of Photovoltaics and Energy Storage Systems in the building environment in 5 pilot areas, facilitating the transition towards Nearly Zero Energy Buildings;
- Identify and tackle barriers in PV deployment;
- Provide a new energy management solution for residential and commercial buildings, taking into consideration potential interactions with the electrical grid;
- Transform buildings into a controllable energy source;
- Design and implement proper policies and regulations.
The main PV-ESTIA outputs are:
- An innovative management scheme of PV+storage hybrid, making buildings grid-friendlier;
- A generalized model assessing alternative policies related to implementation of such hybrids;
- An online tool providing profitability estimation of such systems;
- An advanced tool evaluating multiple policy scenarios;
- A set of joint regulation recommendations in the form of a roadmap for the Balkan-Med region and joint policy recommendations targeting grid operators and relevant stakeholders.